05 August 2010

Favourite Things Project - Week Five

People in my life is the fifth week's topic from Being Tazim.

I've mentioned my two sons quite a few times in my posts and they are the most important people in my life. There are a few other significant friends and family who also mean the world to me, but they are very private people and I respect that. They know who they are and know how much I love them.

My sons, Brendon and Darren have made me very proud to be their Mum. Brendon is currently writing a short film in the hope to have it completed for a short film festival some time next year. Darren has just completed an apprenticeship with top marks and has received numerous pats on the back for a job well done.

Both the boys live in Queensland, Australia. Brendon is in Brisbane and Darren is at a mining town, Mt Isa, in the mid western area of Queensland, almost to the border of the Northern Territory.

I'm in Sydney, so having dinner with Mum on a regular basis is just not on!!! We see each other when we can. Darren turns 25 today and the plan is to head out to Mt Isa for a few days soon to visit him (and the new girlfriend!).


For years I have admired many women in business, the art community, media, theatre/screen and literature, and even though they aren't 'people in my immediate life', they are people who have made me think about my life to some extent. For example, I heard Ita Buttrose speak at a seminar years ago about Women in Business and was completely enthralled with what she had to say. At the time I was trying to be a business women and realised I didn't have it in me just yet. This was a good thing, now I am more mature and have had a great deal of exposure to small business through my job.

Because of this, I now have a 5 year plan in place.

There is another identity I admire, someone who was kind hearted, had strong convictions and endured much throughout her life and that is Audrey Hepburn.


As a UNICEF ambassador she devoted much of her post movie life to her role as a spokesperson for UNICEF, helping impoverished children worldwide and raising the profile of UNICEF in the process.

My boys have given me gifts of 2 books encompassing different times of her life.

The Paramount Years and Audrey Hepburn Treasures. The last one is such a beautiful book, with copies of letters, tickets, cast lists etc etc. As it suggests, it is full of treasures. This is a wonderful tribute to Audrey from her son Sean Hepburn-Ferrer, with all or most of the treasures being things he has kept over the years and a heartfelt preface to the book written by him.


She was Givenchy's muse. This beautiful dress was from the Movie 'Sabrina' (1954) with Humphrey Bogart.


Who cannot go past Holly Golightly in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' (1961) with George Peppard.


The last movie I saw her in was Robin and Marion (a telemovie I think) released in 1976. Sadly she passed away from colon cancer in January 1993.
Sadly missed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...