22 April 2011

Test #1...Printing fabric in my Inkjet Printer

A flash of brilliance came to me in the last hour...If I can get a piece of fabric to the weight of printer paper, around 80 - 100 gsm, it might just work.

You'll never guess what I used...Freezer Paper! I bought a whole roll of this paper before Christmas, from Spotlight,  so I could do some stenciling on a Christmas gift for my niece. You can see that here, just scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see the pink cushion I made for her. The 'In the Pink' wording was made with a Freezer Paper stencil.

The idea came from reading Tina's blog, Rubie's Place. She uses this technique in this tutorial.

I knew there would be a way to do it, so I ironed a piece of 100% cotton to some Freezer Paper, then cut this to A4 size. This whole experiment is for a project for a new arrival. I'm doing a piece of artwork for a new baby girl who arrived on the 15th April to lovely friends Adrian and Fiona.

The colours for the artwork were coming together but I needed one more contrast, hence the experiment. For what I'm doing this will be sufficient because it won't be washed. I'm not sure how 'fast' the ink will be. I'll give one of the test pieces a hot iron for a while to set the ink, then wash it and see what happens.

Here's the printed result before washing:


I downloaded a floral fabric into Photoshop, duplicated it to get a full A4 page of the print. The colour isn't as bold as I'd like it. Maybe I could play with it a bit more in Photoshop to get it right if I need to, but this is fine as a first attempt!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool Terese! I would have never thought to do that! You're very clever, will you share the finished product/gift? Happy Easter,
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I value all comments. Hints & tips too, if you are happy to divulge them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...